Avadi

Avadi- The place I am quite attached to, my native, my world and my cute little town. When I mentioned this place to my college mates I ended up with too many questions about the place. Since my college and home were at two corners of city I need to spend more than 3 hours a day traveling to college and back home. To my friends I hail from a village and some even say that I stay at Tamil Nadu Border.

For a person who spent his life in the crowded, dusty city will never know what it is to stay in such a calm place where
  • I get water all through out the day and need not depend on bottled water
  • there is no need to spend thousands on setop box
  • I can sleep peacefully without the noise of vehicles disturbing me all night
  • You find all kind of people; a purely cosmopolitan life
  • Need not adjust with in a flat where neither the land nor the sky is ours
And still many more to keep listing... Now will tell you about my little town.............

Avadi-Armoured Vehicles and Ammunition Depot of India. How does that sound??? I really feel proud to be brought up in such a important place. It is city [Declared on March 1st1996] and a municipality in Thiruvallur district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. It is a suburb of Chennai. Situated about 20 km north east of Chennai, it is surrounded by major defence establishments and hence, people usually call this place as "military area." The major military establishments having divisions in Avadi are Indian Air Force, Indian Army, Indian Navy, HVF, CVRDE, CRPF, CVD (Central Vehicle Depot) and OCF.

Avadi and its surrounding areas is rumoured by many to be heavily defended and/or defendable. Being the center of the Indian military-industrial complex, these rumors are believable: aerial approaches to Avadi airspace could be reached quickly by IAF interceptors through numerous airbases across the region.

Nearby there are many residential areas wherein most of employees of the defence organizations live with their families. There are also plenty of schools and colleges in the area. Avadi has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%.

Isn’t this information to make people believe how important is my cute little town???

Comments

Manoj said…
hehehehe....lol....

thanks a lot Janani... really an awesome post... gud efforts...

i can proudly show this to some of my frds too dear...

HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY
golmaalgopal said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
golmaalgopal said…
wow...rilly gud one...nice to know these things about our gud ol' town...
Unknown said…
Good One.. I never knew that AVADI was a city in the first part.. Am still thinking it as a sweet little village outskirts of Chennai..But its really proud to say that its the most defendable place...
Syam said…
aavadi ku ivalo build up ah :-)
Serendipity said…
Armoured Vehicles and Ammunition Depot of India

Good one :) . I was under the misconception that avadi was a part of chennai:D
Janani said…
@ VishnuPriya
Unani madiri niraya people thirunthanum nu thaan intha poste

@Manoj
Got fed up fighting ...thats why

@Golmaalgopal
Thnks :-)
Janani said…
@Bricktop
Thnks....yeah it is a sweet little town in the outskirts of Chennai

@Syaam
naan kudukama vera yaar kudupa build-up enn area pathy :-)

@Serendipity
Avadi is a part of chennai my dear
Unknown said…
Gud info on Avadi...how far is AP from ur place?
Janani said…
@Bala
Around 170 kms..Thnks for visiting my place...Do keep visting :-)
Jaggy said…
I didnt know that Avadi means Armoured Vehicles and Ammunition Depot of India. Thanks for that info.

Janani.. Please check here and here. Both of the lists doesnt includes Avadi as City.

From Census India Site.

Sl. No: 304
City/Town: Avadi
Urban Status:M (for Municipality)
State Code: 33
State/UT: Tamil Nadu
District Code: 1
District: Thiruvallur

Probably we can call Avadi as an Urabanised area. A place can be called a suburb of a city only if it gets city level of services. But I dont think Avadi town gets the City kind of services. Compare Avadi with other So-Called Suburbs like Tambaram, Chrompet, Kottivakkam, Porur, Virugambakkam etc., Do some back of the envelope comparisons, you wont continue arguing with us. It has taken very less time to develop those localities, but Avadi is still not completely developed even with those so-called GOI instituitions.

@ Janani

First of all we didnt say anything about Avadi. Its all about the Hamlet called Vaishnavi Nagar in AP border. I heard that TN & AP has a border dispute on Vaishnavi Nagar. Who is ur Chief Minister Karunanidhi or YSR...?
Manoj said…
@ Jaggy

I assume u r speaking with facts... and I believe i can take part in this discussion as I'm originally located somewhere nearby...

wat exactly do u mean by "city-level" services that Tambaram is getting and Avadi is NOT getting?

Secondly, what makes you feel Tamabaram or any other place you said is DEVELOPED? Any justifications?

PEACE !!!
Shyamala said…
i agree with jaggy... enga chromepet range'ikku unga avadi vaarumma?
@manoj
all the advantages of suburban living as jans mentioned too... and enga area'la trainnu, bigger bus network, nearer to airport too, college_u(mit), shopping(naidu hall), theatre(vetri), kewl looks(overbridge) ellame erukku...
@jans
unna madiri chromepettuku abbreivation ellam theriyadhu, but statistics illatiyum, enna side unga side ooda better.. he he he...
Jayaprabhakar said…
I think you can add more details to Avadi Wiki
Mahesh said…
Hello Janani,

I used to go to school in Avadi Kendriya Vidyalaya . It was the reverse of your trip to school every day. We lived in Anna Nagar. Would love to hear more about Avadi in your musings.
Wow ! Lovely to see all these discussions about Avadi. I enjoyed both the arguments, and I do not want to support Avadi for what it is, and/or what it is not.

We lived in the HVF Defence quarters for 6-7 years, studied in Vijayantha till 12th std, enjoyed the peace and cool of the place. The later 10 years, we were in our own house near the Annanoor Rly station, which is also near to the Vaishnavi Nagar (the AP border as one of the friends here commented :).

My friends too make fun of Avadi, and about its proximity to AP. :) They mock me saying I get down from the Blore-Madras bus at around 2 am in the morning, somewhere in the middle of a jungle ,to reach my home :). I used to get down at Poonamallee.

The few parks, the Vijayantha Auditorium, the Pilliar kovil, Vaishnavi koil, Thirumullaivoil etc., I still relish all these. Avadi has nothing great to offer, except a peaceful, laid-back life-style.

True, most of the North and West Madras is less-developed compared to South Madras, including Chrompet/Tambaram etc. But, I do not have any qualms about not living at these places either.

Thanks Janani for the post. I relived my memories for a few minutes.

Cheers,
Venkat
Unknown said…
hi, felt nice to read about avadi, i lived the best part of my years at avadi although being a malayalee. ocf school, sree krishna temple, giri nagar,hvf estate, type11, g type accomodations, modest parks,vijayanta club, open air theatre, the bearded projector operator,65B pallavan, and the list goes on. nothing fascinates me other the those golden years i spent with my dearest friends watching even bengali movies during pooja leave alone NTRs and Nageshwara Raos emoting capablities. Thanks.Tambaram can boast only for its Sanitorium and IAF BASE where as For Avadi its OCF,HVF, CVRDE, EF, IAF, CRPF, NAVY,etc...
prathap said…
Nice post janani,I am from Avadi as well
Miss my lovely place,where ever we go home comes true and home is home,The love,peace and Happiness what avadi gave me can never come again........I love Avadi.
Unknown said…
Thanks Janani,
For writing about Avadi. Felt very happy while reading as I'am from Avadi spent about 26 yrs of my life. Now i live at Adyar. Avadi is best place I would ever see in my life. I studied in OCF. I need not list the places and moments I cherished every second there...its endless.
Home is Home. I Love Avadi..
Regards,
Kavitha

Popular posts from this blog

To prioritize or Not to; thats the question

Freedom at Midnight

Malayalam-too tough